Need for more diversity on campus

By Darniesha Thornton

Contributor 

The school is diverse, but not as much as it claims to be.

When I look around the campus, yes, I do see a variety of individuals,  the number of individuals like me. I am African American. When looking at various clubs and organizations there are very few that have members with people that look like me, let alone are run by people that look like me.

Last year, my freshman year of college, before I found Black Student Union, I felt very uncomfortable because I did not know or see many individuals like me. But that fall semester I saw that CSUSM had a BSU and I immediately joined and never looked back. BSU is an organization that makes sure individuals have a safe place to go to when you need to talk and an academically inclined setting that allows you to address your own opinions and to think critically.

Before joining BSU, I looked at the Greek life and was astonished by how lacking it was in diversity. I looked at all the sororities’ pictures and I immediately felt like I did not belong with them. That is why we need a NPHC Divine 9 on our campus. It would not only spread diversity around the school but also the Greek life .This would give opportunities to other young African American woman to have a chance to have a sisterhood and have a life-changing experience. Also, individuals of other cultures will gain more knowledge of African American college history, instead of only the oppressive history which they are taught. They will be enlightened and not so ignorant on our accomplishments.