CSUSM organizations to host Black History Month events

BSU plans for black history month events.

By Sydney Shabacker

CSUSM students are coming together this month to recognize and celebrate a legacy that is rich in history and culture.

On Feb. 19, the Black Student Union (BSU) is hosting a commemorative festival to celebrate Black History Month. Themed “Still We Rise!,” to honor the late Dr. Maya Angelou, the festival will be held during U-Hour outside of the Library Plaza.

This is an annual festival, and is the BSU’s biggest spring event. It will highlight various African-American performance pieces ranging from spoken word, poetry and songs.  Some light entertainment and food will be provided, as well as interactive activities such as Double Dutch, solidarity posters and dance crazes.

This is just one of the many events planned to celebrate Black History Month. Another event to look forward to is Black History Month Movie night from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 20 in the USU Amphitheater. The movie will be a special screening of “Selma,” which chronicles Martin Luther King Jr.’s march from Selma to Montgomery, Ala. in 1965.

The Student Health and Counseling Services will also be doing their part to celebrate Black History Month along with featured authoress Stephanie Covington-Armstrong. The event entitled “Not All Black Girls Know How to Eat – A Story of Bulimia”, will be held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 26 in the Social Justice Training and Resource Center (USU 3300). This combination event ties together Black History Month and National Eating Disorders Awareness Week by bringing attention to minorities with eating disorders.

BSU President, Akilah Green, comments on the organization’s admirable mission and highlights the empowering message that Black History Month creates.

“Our mission statement is to promote a belief in ourselves, strive to succeed and to unite as one. Believe. Strive. Unite,” Green said.

Jamaela Johnson, BSU member and the ASI Student Representative for Diversity and Inclusion, explains what she and other students hope to achieve through these events.

“We hope to spread cultural awareness throughout our campus community and encourage all people to educate themselves about black culture,” Johnson said.

The Black Student Union encourages all students to attend these events, educate themselves about African American culture and keep showing their support for Black History Month.