Properties of gentlemen

By Kat Diltz 

A popular theme in today’s culture is the evolution of the average woman. Many women have gained a radiating sense of empowerment and independence, simply by expressing their individuality. However, even though some women exert confidence and boldness, men should still treat them with respect.

Despite popular belief, chivalry is not dead, and it does not take a dramatic gesture for a man to show his (current or potential) significant other — and even his platonic female friend — that he cares. Here are a few simple ways to express oneself as a true gentleman in everyday life:

• Holding/Opening Doors: A guy who takes the time to open or hold a door for a girl shows that he is putting himself before her, and it is simply polite. Even if this gesture lasts for only a few seconds, it is highly appreciated.
  • Sharing Food: They say that “the only way to a man’s heart is through his stomach,” and this usually appears to be true. However, even if a guy can relate to  Joey Tribbiani from Friends, (“Joey doesn’t share food!”), saving the last bit of food or sharing his dessert says that in that moment, he cares about the girl he is with more than the food he was eating, and that says a lot.
  • Appreciating Her Family: A guy who does his best to find common interests with his girl’s father or puts in a good word for her mother’s cooking says that he is ready for commitment, or at least expresses his good intentions.
  • Endures Through Something Girly: If a guy agrees to see the latest chick flick instead of an action movie with his girlfriend, he knows that it will resonate with her in a positive way — even more so if he doesn’t expect anything in return.
  • Helping Her With Her Jacket/Pulling Out Her Chair: Both of these actions are things that women have zero problem doing on their own, but it is gentlemanlike to do so, especially if it’s cold out, or if he knows that she’s had a stressful day.

Small acts of kindness will always be appreciated, and can turn someone’s whole day around. Being a gentleman does not mean that a guy has to be a knight in shining armor. It just means he is willing to take the time to show an important woman in his life that he cares.