Letter to the Editor: What Black History Month means to me

By Ciara Walker

Black History Month means to me a month of remembrance.

It is a time to pay homage to my ancestors and reflect upon all the strides we have made as a people while never becoming complacent. There’s so much work left to be done.

I am re-dedicating my life’s purpose and being a part of the change in which I wish to see and instilling in my children all the traditions and cultures I had growing up. I am reenacting the past and learning beyond the surface of Black History.

There’s more to our great race than MLK, Rosa Parks and Harriet Tubman. I am researching the many inventors, scientists and all around world changers. We must have a solid foundation of where we came from in order to know where we are going.

Today, I stand on the shoulders of my ancestors. Like my late English teacher told me, when it gets too tough, I lace my boots up and keep pushing myself. There are far too many people that fought and died for the opportunities and privileges that I have today. I don’t take it for granted.

Black History Month is about all of that and so much more. Let’s not get bored with it. Let us all vow to be a part of our future generation’s history books. What you do today can in fact make a difference and positive impact tomorrow. Most importantly, Black History Month means the freedom to build my own legacy from the ground up. I am eternally grateful.