CSUSM students organize to demand change on campus

By Katlin Sweeney

Editor in Chief

[author title=”About the Author” author_id=”24″]

In the 25 years since CSUSM was established, one of the defining qualities of its student population has been their readiness to protest and organize on behalf of equality, equity and justice for their peers.

Over the past year, students spanning various departments and organizations have worked to organize protests that demand justice for the campus community and the community at large. These demonstrations have brought together students, faculty and staff to call attention to a myriad of issues that have occurred both on and off campus.

During U-Hour on Tuesday, Aug. 26, 2014 at Kellogg Library Plaza, a protest against sexual assault took place, which was organized by Karen GuzmXn and Feminists Anonymous. This was in response to the police investigation of the Tau Rho chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) that took place during August, when allegations surfaced that a CSUSM student was sexually assaulted at an off-campus party that was said to be hosted by members of TKE.

Participants in the rally included Cathy Nguyen from Student Health and Counseling Services, members of Students Talking About Relationships and Sex (STARS), Active Minds, Health and Wellness Center, Sigma Chi, M.E.Ch.A., S.T.A.N.D., United Students of Color Coalition (USCC), Black Student Union (BSU) and various professors and faculty members.

The rally became one of many demonstrations that occurred during the rest of the semester, with two other sexual assault allegations surfacing in the Fall 2014 semester. On Wednesday, Oct. 29, Feminists Anonymous organized the “Mattress Action” rally to protest the lack of a sexual assault advocate at CSUSM. The group, along with supporters from various departments and organizations, marched to President Haynes’ office and announced their list of demands, which included the need for a sexual assault advocate.

During U-Hour on Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2014 in the USU amphitheater, a “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot” event took place, which was organized by Black Student Union (BSU) with help from Karen GuzmXn and Student Life & Leadership (SLL). As part of the demonstration, members of BSU, M.E.Ch.A., Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Psi Rho, African American Faculty & Staff Association, Women’s Studies Department, SLL, Sigma Chi and other students and staff came together for a photo in the “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot” stance.

BSU President, Akilah Green, said the photo was taken to reflect students, faculty and staff standing in solidarity in protest of police brutality, especially in recent cases involving African American males.

“This event was very important to have because of many recent police related deaths of unarmed black men that was making headlines across the country at the time,” Green said. “We wanted to bring awareness to the injustices taking place before the momentum began to fade. The realities of black individuals are much different than many people would expect when dealing with law enforcement.”

The intent behind the photo was also to send a message about the realities of the contemporary justice system in the United States.

“The main thing people should take away from this event is that racial profiling is alive and very strong and that it is up to each of us to be the change we want to see in the world by living through love and respect instead of fear and hostility,” Green said. “Every citizen of this country deserves due process of the law, but unfortunately some are judged by the bullet.”

During Thursday evening on Feb. 12, 2015 at the Cesar Chavez Courtyard, a candlelight vigil took place to honor the memory of the Chapel Hill shooting victims. The victims, who were three students of Muslim and Arab descent, were shot and killed by alleged shooter Craig Stephen Hicks in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. There has been speculation that he acted out of hatred for them and their religion.

The vigil was organized by Muslim Student Association (MSA) and Afghan Student Association (ASA) and was attended by 40 students from various organizations.

MSA President, Leena El-Maleh, said that the event was an important remembrance for the Chapel Hill victims, Deah Barakat, Yusor Abu-Salha and Razan Abu-Salha.

“We felt that it was important to organize this event to bring awareness of the tragic events that occurred at Chapel Hill to honor the lives of the three Muslim students,” El-Maleh said. “They were model citizens and compassionate human beings that had their lives cut short and we wanted to pay our respects. We also wanted to draw attention to the fact it is possible the victims were targeted because of their race or religious beliefs.”

El-Maleh said that the victims represented strong character and morals that should be continually celebrated and honored.

“The Chapel Hill shooting caused many Muslims to feel targeted because of their religious beliefs,” El-Maleh said. “No one should feel unsafe because of their beliefs and we should all stand together to promote tolerance and civility. Deah, Yusor and Razan dedicated their lives to helping others and several organizations have been established to continue their charitable work such as the Feed their Legacy campaign which has collected 100,000 cans of food to feed the homelessness and the Syrian Dental Relief fundraiser which has raised over $500,000.”

As CSUSM goes forward, students will continue to organize for justice for their peers both on and off campus.