Melanie Martinez finds fame after competition

Album review

Lilly Flack, Cougars Without Borders Assistant Editor

It is rare that eliminated contestants from televised talent competitions such as “The Voice” ever have much success in the music industry, however, Melanie Martinez’s debut album has defied this notion.

The New York singer, who comes from Puerto Rican and Dominican descent, appeared on the show when she was a 17 year-old in high school, but was eliminated through public vote when she reached the Top Six.

After her departure in 2012, Martinez worked on her original music and released a single titled “Carousal,” which captivated fans of the popular television show “American Horror Story: Freakshow” when the show used it in trailers for the season.

Following this, Martinez was signed to Atlantic Records after she released a 4-track EP titled “Dollhouse” in 2014. The record company housed many other successful artists such as Coldplay, Led Zeppelin, Skrillex and Ed Sheeran.

Her debut album, titled “Cry Baby”, was finally released on August 14, 2015, and peaked on the US Billboard Music Charts at No. 6 and No. 1 on the US Top Alternative Charts (Billboard Music) within a month following multiple acclaimed reviews by critics.

“Cry Baby” is an electro/indie-pop album that merges popular styles of other artists, such as Lana Del Rey and Lorde, into a conceptual art album. The album strangely incorporates childlike imagery into dark themes and explicit songs. Through her original lyrics in songs such as “Mrs. Potato Head,” “Dollhouse” and “Tag, You’re It,” Martinez reinforces a statement about defiance towards popular childhood themes and the messages they send.

“Mrs. Potato Head” addressed the idea of cosmetic plastic surgery that the children’s toy appears to endorse, with lyrics such as “Don’t be dramatic, it’s only some plastic / No one will love you if you’re unattractive / Little girls learn to cut and paste.”

Another song on the album, entitled “Dollhouse,” focused on the harsh reality of familial troubles through the eyes of a child, whereas “Tag, You’re It” expressed the issue of sexual assault and harassment.

Although the songs and themes of the album were somewhat distorted and sinister, the catchy lyrics and unique musical rhythms pulled a rare combination of listeners from different styles of music, which has perhaps led to the success of Martinez.
Her first album has already proved a major success for the artist, and fans are eager to hear what she will be releasing next. Until then, Martinez is busy travelling around North America and Brazil performing sold-out shows and promoting her debut album.

“Cry Baby” is now available for purchase on iTunes and Amazon, and for streaming on Spotify. A physical copy is also available at select stores and online.