BSU discusses the importance Black voices on campus and solidarity

Organization Spotlight

Lex Garcia, Student Life Reporter

After last year’s Student Organization of the Year award was presented to the Black Student Union, the members of BSU are ready to make the 2015-2016 school year one to remember for their organization.

BSU has been present on campus for years and this fall, junior Dani Thornton began serving as president and has set big goals for the union.

The BSU now has 60 student members whose collective purpose is to connect African American students on campus.

“Usually when there are marginalised people or minorities, they usually have groups where these people can come together and unite,” says Thornton.

Even though the BSU wants to link African American students on campus together, it is a safe zone for all cultures that offers community and the opportunity to learn about African American culture. To BSU, it is very important that the voice of African Americans is heard. This year the school’s student body includes less than 5% African American students and the BSU would like to see an increase in the African American community on campus.

“I want Africans Americans to know that college is an option, we are here and our voice is ready to be heard,” says Thornton.

In previous years, the BSU was known for stepping and entertaining the crowd. This year they want to be known for their sense of unification.

“I want them to know our mission, and that is coming together in solidarity,” says Thornton.

Michael Martinez, a Latino member of BSU, has been actively involved in the organization for about a year and said he has benefited and learned a lot from it. “Being Mexican-American, I often have to explain that [the] BSU is open for anyone who is willing to engage in the Black community. Just being able to sit down in one meeting, you feel welcomed by everyone. I would encourage people who are not African American to attend one BSU meeting or event, because one goal is to stop the spread of stereotypes.”

As the main objective of most organizations is to unite people, it is important that people are able to engage with and learn about the backgrounds and cultures of others. Stop by the BSU today–it’s time to engage with one another.