Muslim Student Organization strives to spread awareness

Student group emphasizes need for religious diversity

Jasmine Demers, Managing Editor

The Muslim Student Organization (MSA) at CSUSM is a student group that is making an effort to create change and inspire their peers.

MSA has been recognized as an official CSUSM organization since 2007 and continues to grow with 25 members. MSA has held several events on campus, including Islam Awareness Week and Hijab Awareness Day, in order to teach other students about Muslim individuals, their beliefs and their faith.

“Our mission is to spread awareness about Islam, and also create a sense of community not only with Muslims, but with all of the diverse ethnicities and different religions we have here on campus,” said MSA President Sabreena Yaseen.

Yaseen explained that being a part of MSA has brought her together with other Muslims as well people of various religious backgrounds.

“The MSA has brought a lot of people together, not just Muslims, and I’ve personally really felt like I have a family here, filled with people who are kind and accepting of different belief systems,” she said. “Whenever we hold an event, it always humbles me to see how many people in the community come to learn about this way of life and get to know what Islam really represents.”

Yaseen also said that MSA wants to to shift the conversation surrounding Muslims and move away from the negativity that they explain has been associated with them.

“I want people to know that Islam is so much more than it has been recently been represented in the Media. I want to emphasize how peaceful Islam really is,” said Yaseen. “It is a Monotheistic religion, that means that we believe in One God and that He sent down the Quran (our holy book) to his Messenger, the Prophet Muhammad. Prophet Muhammad is a person who is very dear to us, his character was known to be one of the most in honest and kind. He always taught to be good and kind and that all people should be treated justly and fairly.”

MSA member Ayesha Mohammad also has something to say in regards to religious diversity and the importance of being accepting of other beliefs.

“I think it is important for students to open their horizons, to learn about things and cultures and religions that are different than their own,” she said. “In doing so, we can be more open minded, and begin to understand each other more deeply. I hope that by sharing our own experiences, we can live with more empathy and help unify us as a globe.”

MSA holds events every semester that students can participate in and learn from. They emphasize the need for diversity and tolerance and want students to be inspired by their message. They also have events with other student organizations in order to encourage acceptance and collaboration. For more information on MSA at CSUSM, visit http://csusmmsa.weebly.com/.