Women’s Basketball loses against CSU Los Angeles

Layda Galvan, Assistant Sports Editor

The Cal State San Marcos women’s basketball team fell to Cal State Los Angeles on Feb. 6 with a score of 56-59.

CSUSM faced a couple of challenges during the game, but continued to give it their all.

During the first quarter, Guard Ashley Ontiveros scored four phenomenal three-pointers for CSUSM and they closed the first quarter up two,16-14. CSUSM continued to hold the lead in the  and closed out the half with a score of 29-27.

After the break, CSUSM’s star player Ontiveros continued to lead the offensive attack. She nailed a three-pointer and sunk two more from inside the paint. The Cougars led the Toros 44-41

In the fourth quarter, Ontiveros shot 3 consecutive three-pointers, keeping the Cougars in the lead at 54-50.

During the last 58 seconds of the final quarter, with a few fouls, CSULA shot two-pointers, leaving the score tied at 54-54. In the last 13 seconds, the tie was broken by CSULA with a two-pointer. CSUSM scored two more points, but CSULA sunk a three-pointer, ending the game with a score of 56-59, leaving CSUSM with another loss.

“It was a tough game, but the team came together tonight and it was a tough loss,”  junior Ashley Jenkins said. “We did good first quarter, second quarter and third quarter—fourth too, but we have to finish it.”

The Cougar Chronicle The independent student news site of California