Musician Spotlight: Musician Raven Sansano finds inspiration through music

Student aspires to share the joy of music to students

David Yuter, A&E Staff Writer

Raven Sansano is a flutist and singer here at CSUSM. While pursuing her political science degree, she finds time to play in the jazz ensemble on campus, instructed by Curtis Taylor.

Reflecting on what made her interested in music, Sansano said, “High school only encouraged me to continue playing music with participating in marching band and wind ensembles and eventually it led me here at Cal State San Marcos, where I actually helped establish the first wind ensemble under the coordination and direction of Dr. Merryl Goldberg and Dr. Mtafiti Imara.”

She credits her seventh grade band director for influencing her to play the flute.

“He really needed more wind players in our band, so he asked for me to try the flute on the second week of school. I hated it at first, because it took me so long to get a sound out of it, but because I spent so much time with it, learning and practicing it, I ended up growing to love the flute,” said Sansano.

Aside from the flute, Raven also plays the piccolo, a smaller and more high-­pitched flute. Although she desires to play the piano and cajón someday, she thinks it’s important to perfect her voice and flute­playing skills first.

Sansano’s musical influences range from Alicia Keys and Nina Simone to the modern progressive, jazz-­fusion group, Snarky Puppy. Although she admires these established musicians, she finds greater influence in her surrounding environment.

“Most of my musical influences are my classmates and my jazz instructor. The people I play with in the jazz ensemble are constantly teaching me, suggesting artists to listen to and books to read up on about music and jazz. If you ever see them jam out, you’d understand why,” said Sansano.

Despite being a non-­music major, Sansano loves the challenge of learning something new, just for herself.

“Many of my colleagues, if not all of them, are actual music majors and serious jazz enthusiasts. I am this political science major just trying to figure out the world of jazz. But I am having fun, and definitely learning a lot of music theory and the magic of jazz music from Professor Taylor, who’s a well renowned and Grammy Award-winning trumpeter.”

After school, Sansano plans on advocating for communities to help establish and continue music programs in K-­12 schools. She said music has a way of challenging and making anyone feel important, something kids should feel everyday.

“I want to continue playing music for sure, but what better way of continuing my passion for music than to share it, inspire others and make sure that everyone has that right too,” said Sansano.

You can catch Sansano perform in the jazz ensemble on campus, as well as various other concerts around town.