The Lion King takes center stage in San Diego

Madison Scrivano, A&E Editor

“Nants ingonyama bagithi baba!”

The iconic opening line to a beloved childhood classic echoed through the theatre, as expressions of awe and delight could be seen on the faces of every audience member.

In its nineteenth year, The Lion King continues to excite audiences worldwide with its musical broadway tour.

Having already won six 1998 Tony Awards for Best Musical, Best Scenic Design, Best Costume Design, Best Lighting, Best Choreography and Best Direction of a Musical, it is easy to see why this Broadway musical continues to be a fan favorite.

Most young adults who grew up in the 1990’s are familiar with the beloved Disney cartoon and all of the catchy tunes that came along with it. The musical itself brings the film to life in a way that stays fairly true to the original, with a few new beautiful musical numbers added to the mix.

The beautiful costumes, masks, music and different types of puppetry make audience members feel as though they are not simply watching a show, but have been transported from their seats and onto the African plains.

Although the actors themselves are fully visible beneath the costumes and incredible African masks, the show allows one’s imagination to run wild, and audience members soon forget that there are not real animals up on the stage. The actors themselves seem to embody the beauty and grace of each animal to take their audience on an incredible journey.

Director of Design Julie Taymor said, “When the human spirit visibly animates an object, we experience a special, almost life-giving connection. We become engaged by both the method of storytelling as well as the story itself.”

Based upon the standing ovation given at the end of the performance, as well as the overwhelming amount of energy felt throughout the theatre, it is safe to say that Broadway’s The Lion King will be a fan favorite for years to come.

(Breakout box)

Student Rush!

Get tickets to Disney’s The Lion King for only $25* and $35*

Tickets must be purchased in person at the San Diego Civic Theatre Box Office on the day of the performance from 2 ½-1 hours before the show time.

Please call the box office at 619.570.1100 on the performance date to confirm Student Rush.

*$25 and $35 tickets available on a first come, first serve basis on select remaining seats, and cash only.

CSUSM USU EXCURSION: Sept. 29, 5:15- 10pm SD Civic Center

Tickets @ 35$ A the CFH Tickets on sale 9/12