CSUSM Women’s Basketball slam-dunks San Francisco

Hannah Snider, Sports Editor

CSUSM women’s basketball team went head-to-head against San Francisco State securing another win for the Cougars leaving the final score 73-65.

The Jan. 26 game at the Sports Center boosted the Cougars overall record 10-8 and 7-6 in conference.

The Cougars started the game off strong with the Gators pushing back and quickly matching their momentum.

Gator #3, Felicia Villarruel, shoots a 3-pointer with several minutes on the clock giving them a larger lead. Cougar #4, Savannah Camp, answered with a 3-pointer leaving the Cougars trailing closely behind.

The first half ended with the Gators leading 35 to 34.

During the second half, the Cougars put on the pressure by keeping their defense strong and making those important connections which ultimately gave them a lead in the fourth quarter.

“Our defense was really good especially when we really lock in…sticking to the scouting report, getting stops defensively, that’s what essentially won us the game was our defense” said Coach Renee Jimenez.

When the buzzer rang the Sports Center erupted into cheers; the Cougars won 73-65.

Guard Savannah Camp led the Cougars with 25 points, and guard Ashley Jenkins followed close behind with 20.

The CSUSM women’s basketball team has eight more games left in this season and plan on finishing off strong.

No one said it better than the Student Athlete of the Month, Savannah Camp: “As a team we want to win as many games as possible, go out with a bang and show everyone in this conference what we’re made of.”