Hundreds of students start new school year at annual First Night Celebration

Melaka Lehmunn

Hundreds of students wait in line to participate in ASI-sponsored First Night Celebration on Aug. 26.

Over 650 students enjoyed free food, bumper cars and other activities while learn- ing about CSUSM’s Associated Students, Incorporated (ASI) at this year’s First Night Celebration on Aug. 26.

ASI Pride & Traditions Specialist and First Night’s main programmer, Jeanie Maidona, said that the event “welcom[es] students back onto campus,” but “mainly . . . make[s] sure that students know the resources that ASI has to offer so that they’re well-equipped with the knowledge [to] go through- out the . . . year knowing what they have.”

Novelty & Variety Specialist, Kimberly Ramirez, explained to students how “under ASI, there’s a couple of entities beginning with the Board of Directors [BOD].

We also have the Campus Activities Board [CAB] . . . the front desk team and The Cougar Pantry.”

Ramirez explained, “The [BOD] advocat[es] for students at the campus-wide and statewide level . . . [CAB] puts on events for students . . . [and] The Cougar Pantry provides free food for students” via weekly appointments and Fresh Market Mondays, wherein students receive fresh fruits and vegetables.

“Our front desk team helps with questions but also man- ages some of the business administration [by] helping with student org funding,” said Ramirez.

After waiting in a line stretching from Kellogg to Forum Plaza, hundreds of students received wristbands and were free to visit the four booths that offered information on ASI and its different entities.

Attendees who graced every booth won a black “Cal- State San Marcos” T-shirt.

The nearly 700 attendees feasted on food truck fare and played lawn games at the event.

After devouring savory chicken or beef tacos from Frida’s Cocina or healthy açaí bowls from The Beat- en Berry, many played giant versions of Jenga, Dominoes or Connect Four or a game of volleyball on the grass.

Guests could craft bracelets, necklaces and keychains at the DIY jewelry cart.

One of the most popular attractions at this ASI-sponsored event was the bumper cars. Smiling students were still crashing into each other as the coordinators began taking down the booths.

The differing activities matched the diversity of attendees. Over 250 were first- year, transfer or international students, while the rest were returning students.

Graduating senior and sociology major Darae Elliot participated in First Night because “a couple of guys on [his basketball] team are new on campus,” and he want- ed them to “meet new people.” Elliot said, “It’s been fun, we’ve met a lot of new people . . . [and] made some friends.”

First-year literature and writing studies major Lillia Franklin came “to meet more people and [have] fun,” while fifth year sociology and Spanish double major Nancy Martinez attended “because events like this . . . help us to know what kind of resources are available for students . . . programs that help students academically [and] emotionally.”

Upcoming ASI events include weekly Fresh Market Mondays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Chavez Plaza, weekly Produce Truck Tuesdays from 12 to 1 p.m. at Mark- stein Plaza, the ASI CalFresh Extravaganza on Oct. 22 and the Student Opener Competition on Nov. 21.