Student-Professor communication benefits both parties

Exceptional+student-professor+relationships+improve+the+quality+of+every+class.+

Photo Courtesy of ICSA via Pexels

Exceptional student-professor relationships improve the quality of every class.

We all have our opinions of our professors throughout the semesters we’ve spent at CSUSM.

Thinking about past professors can either bring good or bad memories to mind. Every professor on campus is different and creates different dynamics for each of their sections.

Some may provide an effective learning experience while others don’t, and the remaining fall somewhere in-between the two. 

Effective working relationships make class more productive and enjoyable. The professors who provide an effective working relationship in their classroom tend to leave a lasting impact on their students.

Professors go out of their way to make sure that students understand the subject by holding office hours and having interactive activities that allow students to apply their knowledge.

As students, establishing an effective working relationship with our professors will be beneficial because, by doing so, we take in more information and show more interest in the class than if we do not establish those relationships.

It’s not just the professors who need to make an effort in creating and maintaining these relationships. Like any other type of relationship, it takes two to tango.

Students should be putting in the effort and initiate the relationship as much as professors do.

You should not be intimidated by your professors; they are here to help you succeed in your college career and provide direction. 

Since we, as students, are trying to master the class and have the best possible experience, we help set the tone.

If we do not foster an effective working relationship with our professors, the experience of that class will fall flat and we will not benefit as much from it. However, there are instances where we simply cannot establish an effective working relationship with our professors.

This problem can be rooted back to the student not caring enough about the class or the professor not appearing approachable. Professors who lack an approachability trait, based on my personal experience, do not make the classroom dynamic effective.

This leads to students feeling that the class is not as productive as it should be and giving little to no effort on their part. Another point to which a lack of effective working relationships between students and professors can be attributed is the structure of the course, which can be confusing if professors do not provide clarification.

In these instances, there are ways that both parties can improve their working relationships. Professors need to create a more interactive lecture where it’s not just the professor giving information but, rather, find activities that allow their students to retain the information and care about the course. Students need to become more proactive in class, participate and ask questions when they do not understand a concept.

In the end, having an effective work relationship with your professor is beneficial to both students and professors alike. The establishment of effective working relationships in the classroom help both parties feel like they’re being productive and gaining mutual respect for one another as the relationship flourishes.

Many don’t think that building an effective relationship with their professors matters, but they are the relationships that leave a lasting impact.