Octavio Martinez and Moy Valdez Compete for ASI Presidency

Associated Students, Inc. (ASI)

ASI election season is ramping up for the 2024/25 school year. Now is an exciting time on campus with a variety of opportunities to meet the candidates and learn about their hopes for the CSUSM community. Recently, ASI announced the candidates for the upcoming election, with two candidates for president.

The first candidate is Octavio Martinez, a third-year and first-generation business administration student. During his time at CSUSM, he has worked in the Office of Inclusive Excellence and ASI, which he emphasizes empowered him to help students from all walks of life. During his time working for both entities, he’s led and initiated conversations with a variety of departments on campus to increase opportunities for growth and inclusivity on campus. He’s also helped students and student organizations seek opportunities for empowerment. As ASI president, he hopes to continue leading these conversations and bring change in a holistic manner.

“As a huge advocate for student success and student experiences, I hope to provide multiple ways to get what you want out of your college experience, like opportunities to connect you to your future roles in the world,” Martinez said.

The second candidate, Moy Valdez, is the current ASI president and CEO. He is a second-year political science student from Las Vegas, Nevada with lots of ASI experience, ranging from being a Lobby Corps member to the current president. During his presidency, he was able to initiate conversations on the proposed Wellness and Recreation Facility, expansion of the Cougar Pantry, and increasing funding for on-campus resources. If re-elected, he hopes to continue fueling the progress made within the last year, while continuously developing ASI as a resource for students.

“Every student should know the resources we provide, the opportunities that can be gained, and the experiences that can come from participating with us here at ASI,” Valdez shared in his statement.

The election will take place from March 11-13. The last two remaining election events will be held on March 4 and 5. Results are expected to be announced on March 14 at 5 p.m. during the Festival 78 Student Opener Competition.

If you wish to learn more about the candidates, click here.