SPRING FLING CANCELLED: THE THOUGHTS BEHIND ITS CANCELLATION

ASHLEY DAY
A&E EDITOR

Road blocks and timing issues recently forced Associated Students, Inc and Campus Activities Board to cancel Cal State San Marcos’s big campus spring event.

In previous years, ASI organized the Spring Fling dance.

“Spring Fling began in the Spring of 2006. It was started to be a big spring event that would be similar to the fall’s Masquerade Ball,” Sara Gallegos, Director of Campus Activities and Marketing said.

This year, CAB and ASI wanted to try to put on a new exciting event.

“We’ve been talking for years about holding a concert, a large concert … in the place of the actual Spring Fling dance. We were going to hold a concert on campus,” Gallegos continued.

However, somewhere along the way, planning came to a halt forcing CAB to think of another way to bring students fun activities for the semester. Students may wonder why CAB did not bring back the Spring Fling dance, but there was no possible way to organize the dance because of timing.

“By the time we were informed [of the roadblocks] it was after finals week…To turn around and try to book a place … promotion and everything… we couldn’t turn around and do it,” Gallegos explained.

As a result, ASI and CAB decided to put the budget toward different San Diego and Los Angeles event tickets as consolation for CSUSM’s big budget spring event’s cancellation.

ASI raffles a pair of tickets each to events such as a Lady Gaga concert, Stagecoach and Coachella, to name a few, when students go to CAB events.

“Each CAB event any student comes to can get an opportunity drawing ticket each time and put it in the event box they choose, so the more events you come to the more chances you have to win,” Gallegos said.

ASI reallocated its budget to “beef up” it’s currently planned events. Since ASI cancelled the big budget event, the organization gained the opportunity to put more money into U-Hour and campus recreation events and collaborate with other campus organizations.

Essentially, students still get their money’s worth with the events ASI and CAB provide to the campus.

“Everything that comes into CAB and ASI… goes back to students,” Gallegos finished.

Therefore, students, though it is disappointing to hear of the concert cancellation, CAB is still planning a lot of fun events for us, so attend them, earn back some of the money your tuition paid for and possibly win some free concert tickets.

For more info on ASI and CAB visit: csusm.edu/asi/index.html or csusm.edu/asi/cab/index.html.