Proposition 101

By Sandra Chalmers, Jenna Jauregui, Amy Salisbury

In light of the upcoming elections, The Pride compiled short explications of the state propositions we feel will most directly affect CSUSM students. To learn more about the propositions and the groups that support and oppose them, visit http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/.

Proposition 19: Legalizes marijuana under California but not Federal law. Permits local governments to regulate and tax commercial production, distribution, and sale of marijuana.

Prop 19 seeks to legalize marijuana within the state of California. It would allow people 21 years of age or older to possess, cultivate, or transport marijuana for personal use. Marijuana would remain illegal if the person possessing the substance was on school grounds, smoking in public, or in the presence of minors. Prop 19 would still prohibit driving under the influence, and it also limits employers’ ability to address marijuana use in the workplace. Those in support of Prop 19 explain that tax revenue for the state could potentially correct budget deficits. Those who oppose Prop 19, including MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving), explain that the prop could endanger public safety and cut federal funding to schools.

Proposition 21: Vehicle License Fee for State Parks

This proposition would increase the vehicle license fee by $18.  The revenue generated by this proposition would benefit the California’s 278 parks by aiding in maintenance and operations for the park. Most parks would have access to the additional funding except Hearst Castle and Año Nuevo Elephant Seal preserve.  It is estimated that Prop 21 would generate about 500 million in revenue and thus saving the state budget about 150 million by support itself with the revenue. The California Faculty Association supports prop 21, as does the Trust for Public Land and The Nature Conservancy and others. Those opposed include California Taxpayers Association.

Proposition 23: Suspends implementation of Air Pollution Control law (AB 32) requiring major sources of emissions to report and reduce greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming until unemployment drops to 5.5 percent or less for full year.

Prop 23 seeks to suspend addressing emissions that contribute to global warming in the state of California until unemployment reaches, and maintains for one year, 5.5 percent or less. Those in support of the proposition maintain that the prop will preserve jobs and prevent energy tax increases while preserving clean air and water laws. Those opposing the proposition, including the American Lung Association in California and California Professional Firefighters, posit that Texas oil companies created prop 23 to destroy clean environment laws in California.

Proposition 25: Changes legislative vote requirement to pass budget and budget-related legislation from two-thirds to a simple majority.  Retains two-thirds vote requirement for taxes.  Initiative constitutional amendment.

Proposition 25 is a voter initiative to change the state constitution so that a simple majority vote is needed to pass budget-related measures.  Existing legislation requires a two-thirds majority.  The two-thirds majority required to pass legislation concerning taxes will be unaffected by Prop 25.  Those supporting Prop 25 believe it will ease budget gridlock, withholding pay and benefits to legislators for each day a budget is late.  Supporting groups include the California Teacher’s Association and the Alliance for a Better California.  Those against Prop 25 say that it will break down constitutional protection from higher taxes and wasteful spending, allowing politicians to increase their expense accounts.  Groups opposing Prop 25 include the Small Business Action Committee and the California Chamber of Commerce.

Proposition 26: Two-Thirds Vote for Fees

Proposition 26 would issue a requirement to have two-thirds vote in order to raise fees, this includes certain taxes which may or may not result in a revenue.  These fees differ from taxes as they are used only to aid in government services. Advocates suggest that these fees need to use the same regulatory guidelines as taxes, which include a two-thirds vote. Prop 26 is estimated to decrease state budget by having such rigorous requirements to support new revenues fees. Supporters include, California Taxpayers Association and California Chamber of Commerce, those opposed include, California Faculty Association and others.