Filipino student group expands cultural awareness

Kamalayan Alliance CSUSM logo
Kamalayan Alliance CSUSM logo

By Margery Uril

Students that are interested in learning about a new culture, playing games, meeting new people and having fun should join Kamalayan Alliance.

According to their website, (KA) spreads knowledge and awareness about Filipino and Filipino-American history and culture at CSUSM.  Five students founded the club in the summer of 2005. Now, eight years later, the amount of members has almost tripled.

The name Kamalayan, which in Tagalog means ‘consciousness’ and Alliance, which refers to a group of people striving to build a community, seeks to introduce Filipino culture to students from all backgrounds.

The group also educates students on campus with events that introduce different aspects of the Filipino culture.

One of the biggest events the group had last year was the “Kamalayan Alliance Goes to CSU Fullerton,” where schools throughout California partake in the biggest Filipino college event. One of the highlights of this event is the Friendship Games, which demonstrates Spirit, Pride, Unity and Friendship (SPUF). In the spring, there was the “Filipino Cultural Showcase” (PCS) where KA members performed a play that talked about Filipino Culture.

“I joined Kamalayan Alliance because it was fun and a great way to meet people. From the first time I joined KA as a freshman ‘till now I’m still a proud member because KA has done a lot for me.  Not only great memories, but I have made friends that I know I can trust even when I graduate from CSUSM,” Kamalayan Alliance President, Jerome Jovenal, said.

Students that are interested can attend meetings every other Thursday during U-hour. For more information about their events, check out their Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/csusmkamalayan.alliance/.