Good news for unsure grads: Switching majors may make sense

By Jane Fuller

I never dreamed I’d be doing what I’m doing now for a living.

I was torn in college between getting a degree in something I love versus getting a degree in something that could actually land me a job. Hey! Good news for all you undergrads who don’t feel quite sure of your life’s path: Things do work out! But let me start at the beginning.

When I first entered college, I was dead-set on majoring in music…no matter what my dad said.  In fact, his disapproval made me more determined to go after it. I took every music class possible, got straight A’s and suddenly, somewhere at the two-year mark, changed my major to Literature/Creative Writing.  Feeling like a failure, I was certain I had wasted two years and my parents’ money on the wrong major. My fix?  I pushed harder to finish and earned my B.A. degree from UC Santa Cruz with a thumbs-up from my dad.  He thought finding a corporate job or academic career would be easier flaunting a Literature/Creative Writing degree rather than one in Music.

When I graduated from UC, I had spent so much time as an introvert with my nose in a book that I realized my need to develop a more outgoing personality. I seized an opportunity to attend the American Academy of Dramatic Arts earning my A.A. in Theater Arts, which was super fun.

Finally it was time to work.

My first real position was a supervisor at a marketing research firm. I discovered that old dad was right.  The firm hired me because of my degree. First of all, they were glad I had one.  Second, they needed someone to help write, edit and monitor the research studies, which utilized much of my language arts and writing skills.  Interestingly, I also saw my Theater Arts training come into play when I had to interview clients repeatedly, keeping it lively and fresh each time.

My next job was in a public relations department of a hospital. We wrote and edited various publications for the community. I used more personality (from my Theater Arts background) more language arts and writing (thanks, dad).

The next career was in education. This is where I’ve stayed for many years.  I’ve found many opportunities in teaching at various public and private schools because of my degrees and my work experience.  I use all the skills from my college education in my current career as an elementary school teacher.

I use my music training in the classroom all the time for unique instructional opportunities such as helping special needs students learn multiplication.  I use my theater arts background to teach drama and make boring literature come to life for my students.  I also host “Open Mic for Kids,” events to give kids a chance to perform original music.  The best part of this story is that I get paid for all those units that I took in music and theater arts.

Get this:  I entered the school district salary scale at the top because I could verify that all those classes provided me with skills and training directly applicable to teaching kids.  Who’d have thought?  I actually make more money now in education because of those theater arts and music classes in college.  I didn’t waste my time or my parents’ money after all. Plus, my teaching job allows me the time off to pursue my music and acting.  Don’t worry fellow colleagues. You will use what you have learned along the way and it will come together in a way you never would have dreamed.

Jane Fuller is both a teacher and a singer-songwriter-guitarist who performs professionally throughout Southern California. With 4 CD releases, her original music is currently getting radio, television and Internet airplay.

Her new CD, “Someone to Listen” is inspired by her experiences as a teacher.  You can hear song clips at www.janefuller.com