Basketball teams facing heavy competition

CSUSM mens basketball
CSUSM men’s basketball

By Shaina Pardo

The first men’s and women’s basketball games are right around the corner with both teams facing some big competition this 2013-2014 season.

With some big changes, both teams look to bring home a championship.

The men’s team ended the 2012-2013 season on a good note. The Cougars made it to the NAIA Division 1 National Championship Tournament, were ranked in the top 25 every week of the season, went 4-0 against teams in the top 10 and finished the season with a 23-7 record.

Coach Jim Saia, with a proven track record at UCLA from 1997-2003, the University of Southern California from 2004-2005 and Fresno Pacific University from 2007-2010, has been instrumental in the men’s success. The Cougars have improved drastically since Saia arrived two years ago and have ranked as high as sixth in the nation. As for this season, the men’s basketball team has 11 new players, four of which are Division I bounce backs. Saia wants his team to be the best possible team that they can be, by increasing stature, so that they can make it to the National Tournament in Kansas City. The Cougars have upcoming games on Nov. 1 against SDSU and Nov. 4 against UCLA.

The Lady Cougars have a brand new pack this season and are determined to win. There are five returning players and nine new members.

“I’m looking forward to this new group of freshmen and transfers to mix with our returners because we have a lot of potential and competitiveness to win,” said returning senior Sharika Miller. She also would like the new additions to her team to experience winning and to begin a legacy by ending on a high note and winning a national title this season.

Coach Sheri Jennum speaks very highly of her team.

“Since we have a lot of young talent mixed with experience we are growing everyday improving, getting smarter and working harder I see cohesiveness striving toward one unit which will lead to the road to a national tournament and winning conference.” said Jennum. The Lady Cougars begin their season Oct. 26 at Mira Costa at 7:30 p.m.

With their revamped rosters, the men’s and women’s teams have the tools to improve upon last year’s season.