Review: Panda Garden a hidden food fortune

Panda Garden restaurant
Panda Garden restaurant

By Rico Palmerin

Features Editor

On the corner of W. San Marcos Blvd and Rancho Santa Fe Road is a shopping center that leaves little for the eye to linger upon, but tucked within the commercial buildings is an externally deceptive little restaurant called Panda Garden.

“I was expecting it to be like every other Chinese restaurant, but it wasn’t at all,” said CSUSM freshman Valeria Gironas.

From the outside Panda Garden blends in with the drab exterior of the shopping center aside from a colorful neon sign bearing the restaurant name—a subtle hint at the pleasantness within. Any skeptical initial impressions of the location and exterior are immediately forgotten with one step inside. Traditional Chinese orb lanterns illuminate the interior creating an intense contrast from the outside and a kind of wondrous warmth that can only be compared to the opening of a long lost treasure chest. In the center each table is adorned with a fine white table cloth and faded-red booths line the partially wood paneled walls.

The staff is all smiles as they serve you delicious Chinese dishes. The young waiter easily answered any questions about the menu and was very attentive to drink refills. Amy, the owner, is a very friendly and merry woman. She informed us that her restaurant has been open for 16 years, and has always had every intention to “make the customer happy.” She kindly recommended the Spicy Honey Chicken plate which she said was a customer favorite.

Perfect for students, Panda Garden offers a variety of lunch specials starting at just $6.25. The food is served promptly and quickly makes it obvious that everything at Panda Garden is prepared with utmost care. As an appetizer they serve crispy egg noodle chips with sweet sauce and a bit of hot mustard. The Spicy Honey Chicken plate comes with fried rice, a crispy veggie roll and a small mountain of savory glazed fried chicken. The sauce of this dish is unreal and unique in its spicy sweet tang. The veggie roll and rice serves the perfect balance to keep your taste buds from popping. Other exceptional dishes include Chow Fun—a mouthwatering combination of beef, chicken, shrimp and flat, wide rice noodles—and the Cream Cheese Rangoons which are of exceptional restaurant quality.

“Panda Garden was one of the best Chinese restaurants in San Marcos! It’s so close to the Campus as well,” said Ginoras summing up her experience.

Everything at Panda Garden is served in generous portions, from the pleasant customer service to the supremely prepared dishes. Surely no restaurant is more aptly named than Panda Garden as it truly actualizes the discovery of a secret and bountiful garden amongst an ordinary shopping center. So next time you feel like treasure hunting for an affordable place to eat, let Panda Garden be your treat.