30 Minutes Can Save A Life

By Katlin Sweeney
Editor-In-Chief

Students have the opportunity to make a huge impact on people’s lives by donating blood this month.

The American Red Cross and the CSUSM Athletics Department are teaming up to host a blood drive on campus, with the goal of having 75 students participate. Just by spending 30 minutes of their time, a student can save the lives of up to three people with their donation.

“When I was born I was diagnosed with a rare blood disease called hereditary spherocytosis. My disease caused me to spend several months in the hospital receiving blood transfusions and missing out, for the better part of my childhood, playing athletics,” former CSUSM baseball pitcher and blood drive organizer, Jackson Gaskins, said. “I realized from a young age that because of blood donors I was able to live my dream. I was able to compete in sports after about the age of 10, perfectly healthy and fully functioning.”

Students can schedule their donation appointment ahead of time at www.redcross.org with the code CSUSM. They are encouraged to eat iron-rich meals beforehand. On the day of the blood donation, students should make sure they have had plenty of rest, wear comfortable clothes, bring a form of identification and drink extra fluids.

The American Red Cross Blood Drive will take place from 9:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 17 in the Grand Salon of the Clarke Building. Every donor will receive a Red Cross t-shirt as a thank you for participating.