Leadership Spotlight: Power duo Taylor Nagel, Gabri Provencio

From L-R: Taylor Nagel, Gabri Provencio. Photo courtesy of Katlin Sweeney.

By Katlin Sweeney

Editor-in-Chief

Gabri Provencio and Taylor Nagel are the forces behind some of the most successful events at the Clarke and the University Student Union.

Both Provencio and Nagel initially applied for staff information desk positions at the Clarke. The last interview of the day, Nagel stood out immediately due to her outgoing personality and dedication to working hard. Under Jamie Rose, the previous Clarke Events Coordinator, she was appointed to the Events intern position three years ago and later became an Events Assistant. When changes in staffing opened the position, Nagel then became a student manager with an emphasis in Events, transferring to the USU when it opened. This month, she was promoted to the Logistics Coordinator position for the Union.

“It’s still the same concept behind helping with events, planning, coordinating and scheduling but it is also the operational side. We have 19 operations employees that I oversee, who take care of cleaning, set up and making sure that the event is ready. I also plan the order of events, how they are set up and who does that work,” Nagel said.

Provencio picked up the majority of her communication and management skills in high school, where she planned pep rallies, met with the administration once a week and eventually became ASB president. When she turned in her application last semester, Provencio was notified of an Events Assistant opening and decided to apply for it as well. After getting the position, she started out doing basic organizational jobs. With the opening of the USU, Provencio transitioned into a new office and took on more responsibilities. Earlier in March, she was selected as the building’s Employee of the Month.

“The Clarke is more low maintenance, in terms of there is only a certain amount of things that can be done in each room without a lot of options. At the Union, we are still in the process of figuring out what we can and cannot accommodate, what we can do and what is too much,” Provencio said. “It has so much to offer to clients and students, but the USU is just a whole different process. We have not discovered what we can do there yet, while at the Clarke we have had it for years and know its capacity.”

Provencio and Nagel both work underneath Megan Simpson, the Professional Events Planner for the USU who also works for Events and Conference Services. They work to represent the Events office, Clarke and Union well through their hard work and networking with various individuals and groups on campus.

“I know a lot of students involved in various organizations, so it is easier for me to contact people for specifics and events. I build relationships amongst professional staff as well, and when events happen I introduce myself,” Nagel said. “My name is being presented in that area, so when people come in they know who is running the events within the building and who they can ask when they need things. With the student staff I supervise, it has helped me build relationships with people and delegate work. I try to make their shift as enjoyable as possible since they do a lot of hard work.”

“This job is so socially involved with students, staff and faculty that you just meet so many different people. They start to recognize you on campus and it is good to build positive relationships with clients because you work with them multiple times,” Provencio said. “A lot has been expected of me, and I am glad that I have been able to fulfill expectations and to be a good face of the Union.”

Provencio and Nagel strive for careers in the business field after graduating from college. Nagel plans to apply for a professional management position at the USU at the end of the semester, when she graduates with a degree in business entrepreneurship. She aims to open her own business in the future. Provencio aims to secure an events planning position for a city or large corporation. She hopes to eventually orchestrate events that draw large crowds of people, like the New York City ball drop on New Year’s Eve or the Pasadena Rose Parade.