Men’s Lacrosse making its own way

Pierson Cepeda

Lacrosse team wraps up nightly practice with a huddle.

Pierson Cepeda, Assistant Web and Social Media Manager

CSUSM Men’s Lacrosse Club is one of the sports clubs on campus that is fueled by the passion and competitive spirit of its members.

Much like a student organization, a sports club is different from NCAA-run sports in that a club’s program is created and executed by its members.

The lacrosse club’s executive board is made up of President Logan Benci, Vice President Iain Holman and Treasurer Alex Brown. In addition, the club is also led by Head Coach Teddy Hicks and Assistant Coaches Paul Morgan and TJ Moreno.

Created in 2010, the club has quickly developed into a program that enhances their players’ time on campus, helping them to develop lifelong skills.

“It’s a foundation to come and get better as a person and learn teamwork and leadership,” said Benci, a former La Costa Canyon High School lacrosse player.

Benci has played lacrosse for the club since his freshman year in 2011 and has grown into a leadership role since then.

As president, he works with the executive board to recruit players, contract coaches and organize practices.

Players practice off-campus twice a week as part of strength and conditioning along with three days of on-campus practice.

Another responsibility of the club’s members is ensuring they are able to travel and compete with other schools in the division.

The Lacrosse Club competes as part of the Men’s Collegiate Lacrosse Association (MCLA), an organization that organizes lacrosse teams who are not part of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).

They play in Division II of the Southwestern Lacrosse Conference (SLC). Division opponents include Concordia University, Irvine and the University of San Diego. CSUSM is ranked third with an overall 4-3 record, 1-1 in their division.

In effect, the only difference between an intercollegiate team and CSUSM’s club team is recognition by the different collegiate sanctioning bodies.

All the same, athletes must still balance school with the responsibilities of an athlete, and in the case of club sports, provide themselves with the support to compete and train.

For more information on the Men’s Lacrosse Club, check out them out at www.csusm.edu/rec/sport_clubs/clubs/men_lacrosse.html