Book Review: The Ear, the Eye and the Arm

ear eye and arm

Humor, wit and scifi

By Katie Garner

Enter Zimbabwe, 2194. Political and social turmoil that once plagued this African country cut down more than thought possible.

The streets are safer than they were once upon a time, and the one to thank for this brighter future is Zimbabwe’s most powerful man, General Matsika. But the gangs of Zimbabwe do not take kindly to Matsika’s valiant efforts. His reign is not safe, and neither are his children.

Nancy Farmer’s brilliant science fiction novel, The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm analyzes a futuristic society whilst composing a story of adventure and thrill. Still as poignant and charming as when it was published in 1994, Farmer’s novel is well worth the read.

If deep novels aren’t your taste, then fear not. Farmer delivers humor and clever character writing in spades. When Matsika’s children are kidnapped, his wife takes matters into her own hands and enlists the help of three mutant detectives so named Ear, Eye, and Arm. Ear’s powerful sensitivity to sound, Eye’s equally powerful, keen sense of sight and Arm’s empathic sense of touch all must soon be used to save Matsika’s children. But Tendai, Rita and Kuda embark on a perilous adventure of their own as they flee from danger to safety then back again to danger, meeting both enemies and allies along the way. Their once sheltered lifestyle collides against the brutal practices of the slums, and they must learn how to adapt in this new world if they hope to survive. Survive long enough, at least, for the three odd detectives to hopefully rescue them just in time.

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm earned a well-deserved Newberry Honor Award since its publication, and it remains a powerful piece of literature in the science fiction genre.