Restaurant Review: Intertwined

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 presetBy Nikki Thomas

Intertwined is a romantic wine bar and bistro located in the heart of Escondido. The ambiance is elegant and traditional, with bohemian accents that make this newer restaurant inviting.

There are three different seating areas for your enjoyment: The first can be seen as soon as you walk in and is used for a normal dining experience, complete with booths and tables. As you continue throughout the space, there is a cozy lounge with plush couches and hanging lanterns accompanied by a wall filled with different varieties of wine. Continuing on towards the back of the bistro, there is a full wine bar with bar top tables that seem great for enjoying some of their Happy Hour Specials that are every Tuesday through Friday from 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

The menu is diverse and includes: beginnings, soups and salads, signature selection entrées, flatbreads, noodles and a meat and cheese plate. They also offer some side additions and a separate dessert menu. Their happy hour consists of $1 off wines and beers, and on average about $2 to $3 off appetizers that are still a full portion. On Wine Wednesdays they also offer wine flights ranging from champagne to whites, reds and many more in-between. The prices vary from $12 to $16.

We started off with the Crispy Chicken Lollipops ($9). The name sounded unique, so we gave it a try. It was hands down one of the best appetizers I have ever had. It was three pieces of chargrilled dark meat chicken that was presented with the bone-in to give the look of a lollipop. The exterior was perfectly crunchy and dressed in a chili-honey glaze topped with chives. The meat was tender and juicy and made to be dipped into their sirracha-plum sauce that gives it a bit of a kick. I was tempted to order a second helping.

Moving on, we tried the Goat Cheese & Arugula Flatbread ($13). This wasn’t a regular flatbread; it was on a different level. This item included roasted garlic and herbs, a layer of goat cheese, topped with arugula and parmesan shavings and then drizzled with a mustard vinaigrette. The bread was crispy, the arugula fresh and the cheeses earthy and savory which complimented some tang from the vinaigrette. Simple but excellent.

The next entrée was the Lobster & Shrimp Ravioli ($20). This item was plated exceptionally beautiful, with about eight medium sized raviolis stuffed with moist lobster, topped with three plump shrimps, julienned tomato slices. It was finished off with micros greens, edible flower petals and chives, all in zesty lemon butter cream sauce that made this pasta melt in your mouth.

We completed our meal with a Berry & Apple Crumble ($8.50). This dessert was stunning; the berry and apple tart had a sweet crumbly crust, paired with a double vanilla scoop of ice cream next to a blackberry coulis crème-anglais with a few blackberries aside. It was ideal to share and satisfies any sweet tooth cravings.

Intertwined provided an amorous atmosphere and impeccable service. Our server was well informed of the menu items, preparations, as well as any specials and never hesitated to add any special touches to our dining experience. This is a great place for a nice evening out to dinner, so be sure to check it out for your next date. Intertwined is located on 113 E Grand Avenue, Escondido 92025.