French Club Promotes Lucas Dunn Memorial Scholarship

Lucas Dunn enjoying a day of rock climbing, provided by the Dunn Family.
man climbing rock

By Amanda Lenox

Dr. Veronica Anover and the French Club try to keep one student’s memory alive through the Lucas Dunn Memorial Scholarship after he died from a rock-climbing accident.

Lucas Dunn was a CSUSM student who tragically passed away on May 17, 2013, before he was going to leave to study abroad in Aix-en-Provence, France in the fall. Dunn’s life was cut short while he was rock-climbing; a rock went loose and hit him. Although he wore a helmet and harness, it ended his life.

Dunn was one of Professor Anover’s French students in her French 201 class in Fall 2011.

“Lucas sat in the back of the class with a permanent smile on his face. The first time he spoke (in French!), I was surprised by his deep voice coming from a very young face. And his French was beautiful,” Anover said.

Professor Anover felt Dunn would be the perfect candidate to study abroad in France.

“I always mention to my students the importance of studying abroad and how it is a life changing experience. I give my students full support and help them prepare their trip abroad along with my wonderful colleagues in Global Education,” she said.

Because Dunn was unable to make it to France, Anover decided to create a memorial scholarship to help fund students to go to France and study abroad. With the permission of Lucas’ parents, Kathy and Al Dunn, Professor Anover was able to begin raising money for the memorial scholarship.

To create an endowment with Cal State San Marcos, Anover and the French Club must raise $25,000.

“An endowment is permanent. Cal State San Marcos will give a percentage of the funds ($25,000 is the minimum) for life. Lucas will be “immortalized” for life. A small consolation that will never replace Lucas, but such a big help for the students who need financial support to go abroad,” she said.

Currently, they have raised $10,000 and hope to reach their goal by 2015. They are currently organizing events for next year to help in their fundraising. In the Fall, the French Club will hold a “garage sale” on campus and in the Spring, Professor Anover hopes to have a 5K run/walk.

To make a donation for the scholarship you can go to http://www.csusm.edu/giving/makeyourgift.html

(select “other” and write “Lucas Dunn Memorial Scholarship” in the box “I would like to make my gift to support” and then type in the name of the scholarship). Or you can contact Dr. Veronica Anover at [email protected].

Dunn’s parents will choose the scholarship beneficiary once funds are raised.