CSUSM hosts Election 2010 Teach-in: Students, professors discuss candidates, propositions

By Jenna Jauregui

In today’s media-centered world, political campaigns have become prone to ambiguity, propaganda, and “mud-slinging” insults.  TV commercials, radio ads, and roadside banners bombard the entirety of the population.  Modern elections can be confusing for many prospective voters, especially young people looking to make fact-based decisions.

The election forum, held at 1 p.m. Oct. 26 in Academic Hall 102, was designed to offer a non-partisan discussion of the 2010 candidates and selected propositions, hoping to give CSUSM students an opportunity to discern their individual opinions in an unbiased setting, and to generate interest in the Nov. 2 election.

Sponsored by the California Faculty Association (CFA) at CSUSM, the forum featured a panel of three educators who facilitated discussion and offered in-depth analysis of the candidates and propositions on November’s ballot.  The panel included CSUSM professor of economics Aaron Finkle, CSUSM political science professor Scott Greenwood, and San Marcos Unified School District Governing Board President and former teacher Beckie Garrett.

Professor Finkle discussed propositions 19, 21, 22, and 23, observing the pros and cons of each from an economic standpoint.  Professor Greenwood analyzed the possible effects of a “yes” or “no” vote on propositions 20, 27, 25, 26, and 24 and informed students how current political processes could be changed by voter approval.  President Beckie Garrett provided viewpoints on the gubernatorial candidates Meg Whitman and Jerry Brown from an educator’s perspective and discussed how certain propositions could impact California schools.

President Garrett stressed the need for informed voters, especially among young people.  “Look at who is in favor of or against certain propositions,” she said, “Be thoughtful… be vigilant.”  Her motto?  “Talk’s cheap.”  She urged students to examine behaviors of the candidates—to base decisions on actions, not words.

After the panel presented both sides of the election issues, attendees had the opportunity to ask questions of the panel.  The thoughtful quality of the questions showed that students want to obtain a clear picture of an issue before voting “yes” or “no.”

CSUSM student Nicole Main, who participated in the event, thought, “[The forum] was a great experience. It allowed connection and explanation of the propositions.  I feel this really inspired the ambivalent students to become active voters this election.”

CSUSM student Nataly Castillo also attended the forum, and said she “really was enlightened by the non-partisan lecture.”  She described herself as “never into politics before,” and that she did not usually research the issues on the ballot.  After the forum discussion, she happily said she now “completely understand[s] [her] rights as a voter, and the difference [she] can make in regards to education issues.”

The CFA’s efforts to educate and inform students before the midterm elections certainly seem to have inspired many to exercise their voting rights.  Whatever the results of this election may be, CSUSM student voters will have taken a stand, armed with knowledge to help them make informed choices when filling out their ballots.