SENIOR PROFILE: Eliasar “Biggie” Molina reflects on campus involvement

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 8.12.29 PM

By Katlin Sweeney

Editor-in-Chief

In his five years on campus, Eliasar “Biggie” Molina has left an impressive mark at CSUSM.

While Molina was not involved on campus during his first semester, he pushed himself to change this in his second one at CSUSM. Molina has actively participated in a wide range of student orgs. on campus. These include Sigma Chi fraternity, the Gender Equity Center, Students Talking About Relationships and Sex (S.T.A.R.S.), LGBTQA Pride Center and CSUSM Network Colleagues. In addition to these, he has been involved with the Cross-Cultural Center, Black Student Union, M.E.Ch.A., College Republicans, College Democrats and the Civility Campaign.

“Being involved has helped me be a little more communication effective and result seeking. It’s opened my eyes to a lot of social injustices but reminded me to always fight for the justice of things,” Molina said. “Working with student orgs. has kept me well involved and busy, but it has been overwhelming at times because sometimes I forgot I was here for school.”

Now that he is graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science with a General Concentration, Molina seeks to use this to make a difference in his community. While he has had plans to join the military, he is contemplating a career in law enforcement to work for either a police or sheriff department. If people encourage him to, Molina hopes to eventually enter the political realm and become a politician for at least 20 years.

“Involvement is the biggest takeaway from CSUSM,” Molina said. “It’s the experiences within my stay here that really shaped my form of thinking.”

Molina attributes his love for the campus to many of the people that he met while working with countless student orgs.

“I’m going to miss all of the ASI staff, especially Robert [Aiello-Hauser] and Rodger [D’Andreas]. I will miss SLL, everyone from Josh to Dr. T to Floyd [Lai]. I will miss my fraternity adviser Dan Shaver and Jennie Goldman. From Poli Sci, I will miss Professor Cyrus Masroori, Professor Beavers and Professor Chavez Metoyer.”

Molina advises freshmen to get involved as soon as possible at CSUSM and to make the most of their time on campus.

“Stay on your grades. Stay involved and take out your headphones. Say hello to somebody. Meet a person today.”