Natural means to whiten your teeth

By Lauren Hammond

Opinion Editor

Americans seem to be obsessed with dental hygiene, particularly teeth whitening treatments that help keep smiles looking flawless.

However, many people do not understand the severe side effects associated to whitening treatments. In 2009, the Journal ofDentistry published a study stating the harmful effects of tooth whitening.

For one, over the counter treatments often have painful effects on the gums when used in excess. Over whitening can cause the gum line to recede, bleed and become inflamed. Aside from gum pain, excessive whitening can also lead to sensitive teeth and enamel depletion. Enamel depletion is the most harmful side effect, as it may lead to severe internal tooth decay, which is both painful and expensive to eradicate.

Aside from using professional products properly and avoiding over whitening, there are several holistic remedies for tooth whitening. The benefits from using natural products to whiten teeth are that they are more affordable and have little to no side effects.

Coconut oil pulling is one of the most effective natural remedies for whitening teeth. When using this remedy, simply take a tablespoon of coconut oil and swish in your mouth from 10 to 15 minutes. Coconut oil pulling should also consist of pushing the oil through the teeth when swishing. Brushing with baking soda has an amazing whitening effect, but when brushing with it be sure to only use this solution once a week. Baking soda can cause minor irritation to the gums if used excessively. Swishing daily with food grade hydrogen peroxide is another affordable and effective remedy.

Ultimately, when it comes to tooth care it is best to use remedies that are naturopathic and that will not cause one’s oral health to be compromised. The holistic remedies as mentioned above are especially convenient for college students who are looking to save money any way they can. Instead of spending your money on teeth whitening items that can cause harm to teeth, I advise to spend a lot less on a more effective, safer and simpler natural product.