Mirror, mirror, on the wall: Love Your Body event celebrates beauty

By Maya Lifton

Photos courtesy of Maya Lifton

On Thursday, the CSUSM Women’s Center threw its annual “Love Your Body” event. The event included many booths where visitors could get a henna tattoo, and stop by the wellness center booth, where health information was being passed out, and even passion parties, where you could get information on maintaining a healthy sex life. In addition to booths, the event was also serving food, water, snacks, candy, and back and hand massages. There was a red carpet where people had the opportunity to strut down the red velvet with confidence and make the statement of “I am beautiful and proud.”

Jenilee Remigio, the Communication Coordinator at the Women’s Center said, “The purpose of the event is for women to embrace their bodies as who they are, what they look like, and know that they are beautiful just the way they are, and to challenge society’s beauty standards.” Unfortunately, society has put a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way. This pressure can be found mostly in American media, which presents certain images to young girls of what a woman should look like and what beauty is. TV commercials have also become much more provocative. The only way for women to completely break out of this ingrained body image idea is by completely loving themselves, and throwing away the idea that beauty only comes in one form. It is the opposite, beauty comes in many forms.

Loving your body is important. If you are dealing with body issues, have low self esteem, or you just need someone to talk to, make sure you look into the Women’s Center on campus for support. They are open to anyone, and are always willing to help.