Civility Campaign honors Champions & ICONS of 2014

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 9.06.13 PMScreen Shot 2014-05-22 at 9.06.05 PM

By Miguel Magana

The Third Annual Civility Celebration took place on April 30, a celebration in which members of the California State University San Marcos community are honored for their countless acts of care respect and empathy.

The Celebration started with Associate Dean of Students, Gregory Toya restating the Civility mission statement and pledge: As a member of the CSUSM community, I will conduct myself with care, respect and empathy, while acknowledging the culture and humanity of others.

Toya then happily announced the growth between the Civility Campaign with Student Life & Leadership and the Cross-Cultural Center.

The Civility Celebration recognized past events hosted by the Campaign. These events help the CSUSM community understand who we go to school with and their culture to eliminate discrimination and hate.

Then the Civility Champions were recognized. These Champions were nominated because they live out the Civility Mission. Some words which described these Champions are: polite, safe to be around, pleasure to be with. These Champions are recognized for being involved in issues such as social justice, environmental justice and for being an ally to women.

This years Civility ICONs (Initiating Civil Opportunities Now) are students and faculty nominated that are our everyday superheroes, from giving someone a ride to school to making one feel welcomed.

The faculty, staff and students being honored were Dr. Fredi Avalos, Melanie Chu, Kaja Dunn, Terri Metzger, June Trudel, Marie Parrish, Peter Vu, Kevin Adson, Josh Byrd, Jesse Grajeda, Karen Guzman, Rosalie Michaud, Faith Orcino, Ariel Plaza, Jerry Pham, Dominica Ranieri, Nicki Croly, Lia Mauga, Emily Miller and Sonia Perez.

One extraordinary student is Rosalie Michaud. Michaud was nominated by an anonymous classmate who had a bad day resolved by Michaud. Ms. Anonymous had left class and crying in the stall. Michaud followed her and refused to leave until they talked. Ms. Anonymous tried to regain her breath from crying and hyperventilating to talk to Michaud. Michaud stayed outside her restroom stall saying, “I have two dry shoulders to cry on.”

As the celebration approached an end, guest speaker and ICON, Dr. Laura de Ghetaldi stressed the importance of Civility. Dr. Ghetaldi then talked about how she tries her best to teach civility in all of her classes. Being a victim to race riots, zebra murders and helping after the Columbine Shooting, Dr. Ghetaldi explained a part of being so connected to the Civility Campaign is because being a victim “never leaves your soul.”

This year’s Civility Celebration did an excellent job honoring its nominees and reminding the audience what Civility is all about. To learn more about the Civility Champions and Icons visit the CSUSM Civility website at: https://www.csusm.edu/civility/index.html