Back to school essentials

By Shanice Davis 

Summer break is over and school is back in session. In the midst of returning from endless summer shenanigans, students here at CSUSM get back into the flow of a new school year once again.

While walking around campus, I notice some individuals who look fairly energetic to be back, while others, like me, look sleepy, lagging with coffee in hand just waiting for the struggle to begin. I went around campus and asked a group of transfer students what their back-to-school list comprised of.

When I spoke to junior, Angel Meza, he said his school essentials included his phone, laptop and lots of food and drinks, as he held up a Ziplock bag filled with bottles of water and snacks- proving just how serious he was about his energy. He told me he made an hour commute every day from his home and had to stay on campus all day, which explained the full Ziplock bag; for a minute I thought I had it rough with my daily commute of thirty minutes– kudos to him!

Then senior, Emmalee Tagulao, a receptionist at the Writing Center, listed her basic necessities such as a planner, pens/pencils, binders and paper.

For the mother load– in an encounter with a group of girls from my Chemistry class– juniors Kamei Triebello, Jessica Okel, Katia Brunson, senior Sandy Hernandez and I all equally agree that our makeup, phone chargers, books, snacks, and coffee are our absolute must-haves. What can I say, we’re females and like to be prepared!

It’s clear based on the people I spoke to that food is a universal essential, and rightfully so considering we need energy and brain power in order to keep focused. I know that most of us wish it was still summer, but, welcome back, Cougars!