Public transportation saves money, reduces stress

Photo by Erich Allen

By Erich Allen

Paying out the wazoo for a parking permit? Tired of traffic? I submit to you a cheaper, cleaner and more dependable method of travel: the Sprinter.

While a yearlong CSUSM parking permit is $676, a full school year worth of Sprinter Compass Pass Loads comes out to only $400 ($40 per month), or even $320 if you’re thrifty. It’s a fantastic opportunity that Parking and Commuter Services provides for us students. I took advantage of it for the Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 semesters, parking at the Escondido Transit Center from the 15 North. Not once did I have to deal with traffic on the 15/78, or worry about my vehicle as the lot is monitored by NCTD security. The train was never late- it remains my most reliable method of travel, unlike the unpredictability of sporadic freeway jams or traffic lights. Additionally, my daily trip from Escondido to Cal State has provided me with vital studying time before crucial exams.

More and more students are realizing the benefits of the public transit option. When CSUSM and NCTD first began their Sprinter deal in Spring of 2007, only 22 students applied. That number is now up to 430 per month. That’s 430 students who are minimizing their fees, saving gas and reducing the overall amount of commuters on the road.Completing your degree is hard enough on your wallet and stress level, why make it worse?

I encourage you to at least check it out during your experience at Cal State San Marcos. An all-day pass is only $5, which is more affordable than the price of parking on campus.

View Comments (1)

• K

Katie WhichardSep 25, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Thanks for the great article! We hope to see more Cougars utilizing public transit; it’s the California way!

-Katie Whichard, Public Information Officer NCTD

Reply