Musician spotlight: Oversoul’s Alexa Villa

alexavilla

By Katia Brunson
Assistant to Opinions Editor

If you haven’t heard her on the radio already, then you better watch out, because this girl knows how to bring the pop to her brother’s rock.

This musical duo has already made a name for themselves in the local music world, performing at Warped Tour and rocking venues like the House of Blues. Alexa Villa and her brother, Ryan, have been jamming together since Alexa started playing the piano at seven years old. Growing up in a musical family, Alexa and Ryan looked up to their parents, who were always performing in their own bands.

This musical inspiration led to the creation of Alexa and Ryan’s band, Oversoul, which Alexa describes as “a cross between Lady Gaga and the Black Keys.” Alexa says working with her brother is a lot of fun, but just like all siblings, there is the occasional rivalry between the two.

“It’s like instead of fighting over the remote control we fight over solos and song arrangements,” Villa said.

Arguments aside, we’re glad Alexa and her brother were able to agree on such a sick name for their band.

“Honestly, we had been looking for a name for a while. We tried going to the library and reading book titles, anything to spark inspiration, but we didn’t like anything,” Villa said. “One day I just flipped open a dictionary and Oversoul was the first word I saw and we liked the meaning. Oversoul: the spirit that motivates and inspires all living things.”

Some of the artists that inspire Alexa in her work include a range of artists from Led Zeppelin (“cliche but an all time favorite”) to top 40 faves like Lana Del Rey and Rihanna.

“I pretty much love every type of music. Nerdy, but I do love classical music. It’s my escape from all the current stuff,” Villa said.

If the serious, heavy rock sound of Oversoul isn’t your thing, check out Alexa’s solo work. Her brand new music video for her single, “Do What You Do,” features a more “upbeat and fun” sound. Anyone can relate to her lyrics, which focus on the love/hate nature of relationships and important messages such as taking risks and being comfortable in your own “weirdness.” One of her favorite songs she has written is titled “My Miracle,” which she wrote for her aunt after she had passed from battling cancer.

Music has been a positive influence in Alexa’s everyday life, and her source of therapy throughout the years.

“Music is all I do. I’m obsessed with the fact that you can just make something out of nothing and that there are no rules. It’s what I enjoy most,” Villa said.

Alexa will be performing at the world-famous Whisky-A- Go-Go in Hollywood on Sept. 13.

Find Alexa on her youtube channel, “weareoversoul” or on soundcloud at soundcloud.com/alexa-music. Oversoul albums are available on iTunes!