Book Review: The Name of the Wind

Rothfuss_Name-of-the-Wind02UK_LauraBrett

By: Katie Garner

For many avid readers out there like myself, a truly fantastic book is a treasure to be worshipped. They enrapture us, make us laugh, cry and perhaps critically invest us in another world.

It’s true that books may simply be a form of entertainment media, but a small minority of literature strives to fill us with cognizance and awe. It is with this knowledge that I cannot more highly praise The Name of the Wind. Patrick Rothfuss’ debut novel climbed its way up the ranks of literary mastery, and I can quite seriously shelve his trilogy among works such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

Despite its slow introduction, this story rockets into a vibrant tale following the life of Kvothe, an academic arcanist extraordinaire. He is a man of many mysteries with a trail of rumors about his life. Is it true that he has slain monsters and bedded faeries? Was he really thrown out of Arcanist University at a younger age than most who are admitted? Why is his family all but destroyed? These are all questions boggling the mind of the Chronicler, a man sent to record the tale of Kvothe. But what he finds instead of the human storm is a simple innkeeper. Appearances, however, can be deceiving.

Aside from the utterly masterful storytelling, The Name of the Wind possesses several qualities that set it apart from your typical fantasy novel. Through the duration of the trilogy, Kvothe has been charged with retelling the story of his life. The chapters thus bounce between Kvothe’s recollections and the events occurring in real time. This shift creates a stark change in tone and perspective, but also hints at a tragic unravel in Kvothe’s past that has created the situation of their present time. The rich cast of characters in The Name of the Wind supports the book’s distinctiveness. Most notably, diverse female characters and LGBT characters populate the novel and play significant roles in the story’s plot. Kvothe’s narration throughout is clever, belly-achingly humorous and at times heartbreaking.

If there is any book that deserves a following of faithful readers, let that book be The Name of the Wind. This book demands to be adored, and if you’re wise, you’ll read and cherish it, too.