Reasons to wait to get married

Photo provided by Chris Morales

By Celeste Morales

Outreach Assistant 

For many students, and people in general, the question of when to get married is a huge decision.

Some people choose to get married depending on when they find their ideal partner; however, even if that ideal partner is found, the question is whether or not getting married now, while still in college, is a good idea. Many different age groups make up our student body here at CSUSM, but a good amount are in their early twenties. Which raises questions on when or why to get married if the right partner is found.

The temptation to get married while you’re young and the relationship is still fresh has its appeal, but there are a few reasons to wait until the end of your time in college. Choosing when to get married has so much to do with what you want out of a marriage, out of your career, and out of life. The most important reason to wait until you’re older to say “I do” is that you tend to know yourself better. You have grown enough and gained enough life experience to understand what it is you want from your future, and your partner in life. You have also given yourself enough time to understand what your goals are, allowing you to realize if you and your partner are going to be able to mutually share and benefit in each other’s future.

Some of the other reasons to wait have to do with finances and continuing your education. I’m not saying you can’t be in college while you’re married, but it can make decisions like choosing the location of your desired university easier, especially if you or your partner plan on attending graduate school. Marrying later in life may lead you to be more financially independent as well, so that your future married life can be more stable.