Restaurant review: Money night football in San Marcos

By Matthew J. Kuhlman

Staff Writer/Photo Editor

The iconic view of the internationally known Hooters marque never fails to rally up thoughts, images and memories of food, fun and sporting events. The new San Marcos Hooters location certainly provides for its patrons all of the above and then some.

The wide variety of appetizers and starters are what people have come to expect from Hooters. Most sports bars/restaurants offer fired cheese and chicken strip type foods, but Hooters puts their own unique flare on their appetizers with their signature hot sauces and cooler sauces for dipping. Fried pickles, “Buff Chicken Sliders” and “Lots-A-Tots” are a few of the menu items unique to Hooters.

For your main course, Hooters has a wide variety of classic sandwiches and fresh ground chuck burgers. Menu selections that stand out the most when something a little different is in mind are sandwiches like the Shrimp Po Boy, the Pulled BBQ Pork Sandwich and the Speedway Sandwich with bacon, cheddar, green onions and Daytona sauce. In the mood for something on the healthy side tonight? Hooters also has more than seven salad and seafood choices from a brand new Shrimp and Spinach Salad to fresh Alaskan Snow Crab Legs.

No one can think of Hooters without the lively server staff and the wall to wall wide screen TVs displaying every desired sporting event and/or news worthy programing. When it comes to the service, the layout of the main floor, outdoor patio and bar at the San Marcos Hooters, it is arranged perfectly. This allows the staff to pay extra attention to all of the guests without having to stand over their shoulders. Servers like Ashley provide attentive and friendly service with the right amount of attention and space for the patrons to enjoy themselves.

One of the more unique events Hooters offers is the ever so popular feeling of being at a sporting event-Money Night Football. Every Monday and Thursday evening Hooters’ patrons are given $60 in entertainment money.

“The guests use the $60 in Hooters cash to bet on questions pertaining to the featured football game,” a bartender at the main Hooters bar, Evan Ammon, said. “The prizes range from small items like shot glasses to large ticket items like wide screen TVs.”

Considering that most people have an idea of what to expect when they visit a Hooters restaurant, the San Marcos location is incredibly successful at providing guests with familiar yet unique menu choices along with friendly and attentive service staff. Since going out for the evening is supposed to be a memorable experience with friends and family, the San Marcos Hooters is definitely worth checking out on any evening for good food and memories that a person could get used to.

The total experience was a definite 5 out 5 paws for the cleanliness, staff and food. Hooters is located at 775 Center Dr. in San Marcos.