Faculty Profile: Professor Robert Mustard of Biological Sciences

by Chelsey Gonzalez

Professor Mustard is a great example of how being in a field you love can not only enrich your

life but also provide great inspiration for those around you.

CSUSM Adjunct Professor Robert Mustard of Biological Sciences expressed his love for biology

and the joy he receives from being a professor of biology.

Professor Robert Mustard was born and raised in Madison Heights, Michigan, where he

graduated from Lamphere High school. From there Mustard continued on to a number of

different colleges and universities without a specific career path in mind.

He obtained his AAS degree in Computer Science at Oakland Community College, where he

held a career in Information Technologies for 20 years. Professor Mustard went on to get his

second degree in Environmental Studies at DePaul University in Chicago.

Professor Mustard also previously attended CSUSM and received a masters in biology.

“I was burned out from my previous position and I decided I wanted to go back to my first love,

Biology,” Professor Mustard said. “Two days after I graduated from DePaul I got on a plane and

came out to Escondido, and I wanted to go back to school and formalize my studies in Ecology,

and so I finished my Masters here at Cal State San Marcos in 2008.”

During his undergraduate studies, Professor Mustard worked as a research assistant for three

years under Dr. George Vourlitis. Mustard encourages students to get involved in any form of

student mentor relationship as he credits Dr. Vourlitis with much of his professional growth

during this time in his life.

“Talk to your professors, you have a lot of subject matter experts here on campus, and they are

always looking for enthusiastic intelligent students, or they may know someone off site to refer

you to,” Mustard said. “Go do an internship over summer to gain some experience and see what

you like.”

Professor Mustard’s devotion in combining the classroom and the great outdoors to enrich a

person’s life comes through in what he offers to the classroom.

Through his involvement with the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and The Daily Ranch in

Escondido, he has both learned from others and shared his knowledge and love of science and

nature.

He explained his love for both biology and ecology including his appreciation of natural spaces

and his dedication to the subject.

There is not a lot of delineation between my personal life and my work life,” Mustard said. “I

don’t mind if work overflows into my personal life and my personal life overflows into work.”

When it comes to wanting to purely enjoy the environment, Professor Mustard takes time to

appreciate nature. For Professor Mustard, one of his favorite hobbies is scuba diving.

Mustard continues to encourage students in all fields to pursue a career that they are passionate

about.

“Find something you love, find something you have a passion for and do it well,” Professor

Mustard said. “If you don’t like what you are doing, get out of it; life is too short to be unhappy.”