Indie bands rocked big time stage

IndieJam2014_WEBPOSTER

By Nada Sewidan

Features Editor

For Indie Jammers, Sept. 7 was unlike any Sunday in Oceanside Beach. The musicians–talented, the crowds–rousing, the energy–riveting; after all, it was a sold out event.

There were two oceanfront stages, seven bands and seven hours of nothing but music. Indie artists from Little Hurricane, Wild Cub, J Roddy Walston, Joywave, Walk the Moon, Bad Suns and Phantogram performed in the 2014 Independence Jam hosted by FM 94.9 located in the Junior Seau Oceanside Pier Amphitheater.

Indie Jam kicked off the day with Little Hurricane and ended the night with the most anticipated band, Phantogram. Walk the Moon replaced MSMR in a last minute line-up change and they did not disappoint. The band’s on-stage energy moved the crowd in possibly one of the most memorable performances of the night. However, Phantogram stole the show with their electro rock beats, on-stage charisma and the many excited fans who chanted “encore” and “one more song” soon after Phantogram’s set closed.

Independence Jam was a place for artists and performers to display their music and to be seen and heard. Independent artists each had a one hour set and performed songs from their latest albums while some performers such as Walk the Moon came out to promote their new single “Shut Up + Dance.” Major crowds lined the pier for a special meet and greet available to all Indie Jammers. Photographers and videographers captured the crowds and posted all pictures, videos and special interviews of the event on their website.

Some of Independence Jam’s past performers included Cage the Elephant, Imagine Dragons, the Black Keys and Edwarde Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.

Live music, talented artists, up beat crowds, food trucks and oceanfront views made this Indie Jam one to remember.