Save money, buy food off campus

Photo by Chris Morales

By Chelsey Schweitzer

Senior Staff Writer 

While the overall quality of the food served in the USU is satisfactory, the fact remains that the prices for what you are receiving are higher than what some nearby competitors charge for similar products.

Since the USU opened in January 2014, the majority of students have taken advantage of the quick and convenient food choices that are offered in the dining area on the fourth floor.

The options offered in the USU cover a wide range of dining opportunities, from Mexican food at Wholly Habaneros to the fried American food options at World of Wings. While these meals are generally high quality and the portion sizes generally reflect the amount you paid for them, these options still add up to a lot of money if you eat there on a regular basis.

The fact is that across the street there are the same general options for a cheaper price than what is offered here on campus. Subversions is basically the same as Subway; however, at Subversions you are paying $6 to $7 for a footlong when the same kind of sandwich can be made at Subway across the street for $5 to $6. The same goes for Wholly Habaneros, whose menu is similar to that of Mr. Taco across the street, although Mr. Taco has many more choices. Also, at Mr. Taco the prices for the same options are generally lower, or include sides. Mr. Taco is the same quality as what is offered over here and may even be better, although that is for each individual to decide for themselves.

Even World of Wings has a cheaper option across the street in the form of the Ralph’s grocery store, where they sell most of the same options in their deli and even options that aren’t offered here by the pound for a lower price. The only option in the USU that isn’t across the street is Panda Express, which is the only Chinese food place near the campus and has a standardized price since it is a well-known chain restaurant.

Even the places that have a good portion size compared to the price can become very pricey when eaten on a regular basis, and the same goes for the options across the street. The best way to eat on a college budget is to try to only buy food from restaurants on occasion, because even if the price is fair it is still cheaper to make food at home. Even if you don’t think you have time to make food for yourself in the morning, you can make it the previous night before bed and keep it in the refrigerator to quickly grab the next morning.

The fact is that the grocery store is the best deal and the majority of the options here can be purchased much cheaper from the store. Ultimately, it’s up to the individual to decide whether they would like to explore cheaper dining options or if it is worth paying an extra dollar or two for the convenience of on-campus dining. But at least consider buying food off campus or bringing a packed lunch from home.