Movie Review: “Neighbors” means adulthood no more

By Lexy Perez
Arts and Entertainment Assistant

If “Project X,” “The Hangover” and “Spring Breakers” had a crossover movie, it is guaranteed that “Neighbors” would be their comprised product. Seth Rogan and Zac Efron star in this generation’s “Animal House,” embodying the young, wild and free movement. With its excessive partying, profanity and sarcastic wit, the film delivers what seems to be an overdramatized portrayal of this generation’s college era. Despite its Hollywood interpretation, the underlying message is perceptible: Everyone wants to be young and live in the moment.

The film centers on married couple, Mac (Rogan) and Kelly (Rosy Byrne), who just moved into a new neighborhood as they begin to embark on a transition into domestic life. Struggling to accept what they believe to be their “boring” adult lives, they find themselves in a predicament when boys of the Delta Psi Beta fraternity move in next door. While first wanting to bond with frat-alpha dog Teddy (Efron) and his best friend Pete (Dave Franco) to prove they can still be the “hip” and fun parents, things take a turn for the worst when the fraternity’s consistent party ruckus becomes too much for the family.

The film suddenly becomes a war between the sour relationship filled with pranks, reckless behavior and enough alcohol and substance abuse occurrences to be featured as an MTV reality show. Despite the comical banter between Rogan and Efron’s love/hate bromance, it is Efron’s character that depicts the confusion experienced as a maturing, young adult.

Aside from evidently being the “eye candy” throughout the film with his abnormal amount of shirtless scenes, Efron is the cliché college, party animal at a loss for what purpose his life serves once the “fun kid” life is over, an interesting counterpart to Rogan’s character yearning to be young and free once more.

The film emphasizes on celebrating youth freedom and while its “college-inspired” parties seem to be overdramatized for Hollywood appeal (aka: extravagant themes, fireworks, and use of excessive props rather than simply using a pack of red solo cups), the film successfully delivers the message for audience members to reject the idea that you can relish in life only when you’re young.

It’s possible to always stay that child, even when life attempts to prevent you from doing so.

3.5/5 Paws

View Comments (1)

• A

Anonymous_KoolKatOct 22, 2014 at 9:12 am

This was very informative and up lifting!!! If I could I would give this a 6/5 paws Roar! I havent seen the movie yet but this article, paints the picture that you would never get in the trailers. I believe every person young and old want to live in the moment, to feel as if anything is possible and being that irresistible hottie people drool over haha. Stumbling upon this movie review my makes me want to go out and make an impulse buy to get a copy of the “Neighbors”.

Reply