Muslim Student Organization: Raising awareness for a misunderstood religion

By Shanice Davis

At CSUSM, there is an array of student organizations open to anyone that caters to students’

needs, hobbies, beliefs and specifications; the Muslim Student Association (MSA) is among

these organizations.

CSUSM student Amber Mahmood, president of the Muslim Student Organization, explains that

a major component in the group’s mission statement is unity. Mahmood also emphasizes that the

organization is open to all students, Muslim or not.

“[Our mission statement is] to unite both Muslims and non-Muslims in order to better understand

one another,” Mahmood said.

With many different stereotypes and misconceptions out there, MSA encourages students to

understand what being Muslim means.

“It means being the best possible person one can be,” Mahmood said. “Our religion encourages

its believers to be kind, just, humble, a role model and pushes for equality for all.”

Some goals the MSA is proactively working on achieving include growing and becoming a

better known entity on campus in addition to spreading knowledge throughout campus. MSA

also encourages others to better understand Islam and its principles and values. The org. hopes to

better connect with the campus and the local community in order to help increase awareness.

“[In Islam] there is the central theme of building a strong relationship with God as well as others,

and striving to achieve the best self one can be in this life,” Mahmood said.

MSA has grown by nearly 50 percent within the last year and hopes to continue to expand on our

campus.

MSA also holds fun events for students to participate in including hikes, movie nights, rock

climbing, ice skating and many other activities.

MSA believes in giving back and helping the community by participating in ventures such as

food donations to the homeless, and various other volunteer opportunities that arise throughout

each semester.

In addition, MSA is holding their biggest event of the year–Islam Awareness Week.

“Each year MSA holds Islam Awareness Week, an entire week of lectures and events dedicated

to dispelling misconceptions and eradicating stereotypes about Muslims and Islam,” Mahmood

said. “We have knowledgeable scholars who have volunteered to come to CSUSM and speak

about a variety of topics (Islam in the Media, Jesus in Islam, Muslims: America’s newest

minority, Islamic influence in Chicano Culture).”

These lectures will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. from Monday, Oct. 20, through Thursday, Oct.

23, in UHall 100.

Mahmood and fellow members of MSA encourages newcomers from all around the campus to

join or to attend at least one meeting. The org. currently has biweekly meetings held during U-
hour on Thursdays. The org. gathers at this time in order to discuss their thoughts on a variety of

informative topics and issues like Feminism in Islam and Love in Islam.

For more information on the org. email MSA at [email protected].

“We strongly encourage everyone to come out and attend at least one event,” Mahmood said. “It

is a great opportunity to build connections, clear up any misunderstandings and gain knowledge

about a highly discussed topic.”