Staying afloat in college

By Ciara Walker 

If you watch a television show or movie that portrays a college student, the character is typically 18 to 23 years old, either living at home with parents or frat house party hoppers with no real direction in life.

Graduate schools tailor their programs to working professionals. What does that say about the face of students? Certainly not what I see on campus. I don’t know about you, but I am trying to stay afloat with juggling a career, family and college. Some days I can tread water without any effort, other days I am drowning. I’m not a great swimmer and have not always been a great student. Some of the things I learned a day late and a dollar short will hopefully help you to have a better start to your education. Here are my top four college lessons that I learned the hard way. I picked four, because you know, you are supposed to graduate in four years.

1. Don’t enroll in more units than you are capable of SUCCESSFULLY completing. Don’t double up just to graduate sooner or on time. Be realistic and do what is manageable in relation to your other obligations. Definitely don’t settle for a passing grade.
  2. Learn how to study. I did not learn effective studying habits until the end of my sophomore year. Don’t ask how long it took me to become a junior, either.
  3. Part ways with your social life if you cannot handle balancing between girls night out and studying. Your 40-year-old self will thank your 20-year-old self for all of the sacrifices. Know that if you have to cancel plans far more often than you want to, it is only temporary and will be worth it in the end. Think of it as saving money in order to make more money.  Really, this holds true for any distractions.
  4. Find a mentor to help you navigate through the college process. No one in your family ever went to college? Don’t worry, that’s what advisors are for. There is no excuse to not succeed.

These suggestions may not work for everyone, but I guarantee if you try it sooner rather than later you won’t be a career student like I am. Happy studying, Cougars!