Creating sense of community at CSUSM

By Daniesha Thornton

Contributor 

Having diversity on our campus is extremely important to me. The reason I believe this is because diversity, in my opinion, symbolizes a thriving community/campus.

Having multiple cultures on our campus allows many individuals to explore cultures, perspectives, topics, beliefs, ideologies and many key factors that make us as students better critical thinkers. I do believe that CSUSM has done a wonderful job with integrating diversity because I love seeing people on my campus that resemble many different shades. But, with that said, I also believe that as a campus, we can do much more to expand diversity.

Being a college student, it is my goal to graduate and get a career, but in doing so I want to change the lives of students that believe there is no hope in going to college. I am motivated by the idea that I can be the changing factor in a student’s decision to come to college. That is why I am in the flourishing, cultural organization of BSU (Black Student Union). It is our goal to start serving within our communities because we, as a cultural organization, realize how important it is to see a person that looks like you giving you hope about going to college.

One quote, by Maya Angelou, that I love and can relate to as a young black woman says: “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor and some style.” And with that I encourage you to be a leader today, tomorrow and forever.