Why break-ups don’t always have to mean goodbye

By Lexy Perez 

Arts and Entertainment Assistant 

Let’s face it: Break-ups suck.

In movies and television, break-ups are treated as an over-dramatic buildup to that fated happy ending. But what happens when in real life, it can be common for a break-up to simply be a break-up?

Insert what I like to call the “breakup mode.” That consists of common thoughts such as: “My life is over,” “I’m so happy,” “I lied, I’m not really happy,” “Maybe I’m destined to be a lonely cat woman” and “Why can’t Channing Tatum enter my life already?” Then it is time to channel Julia Roberts and Eat, Pray, Love– except the only thing that is actually accomplished is conquering that jar of cookie butter while watching The Notebook 50 times.

While I’m not sure how guys handle a breakup, it is assumed that sports games, video games and adrenaline activities with friends are involved.

It’s a common debate as to whether guys and girls can in fact be friends after a breakup. The decision can lie on the myriad of situations that could have occurred: cheating, lies, distance, growing apart, or, like me, the fact that it was too difficult to accept that Ryan Gosling is a father and is never truly entering my life.

Whether you’re the “dumper” or the “dumpee,” the hardest factor is feeling as if you lost a huge part of yourself. It’s important to realize that just because this person isn’t necessarily in your life as a partner, that doesn’t mean you have to lose them completely.

Regardless of everything, feelings are still there and memories still exist. It can be difficult to let go of the life you once had and to “shut off” feelings.

While it can vary with each person, break-ups are a time for personal healing. Time apart is essential if there is ever intent on remaining in each other’s lives. Distance allows there to be a time to find yourself again and learn to be your own person, finding your own happiness.

Tears may be shed and a film of memories may play. Whether the break-up was amicable or not, this person mattered for a reason and there is nothing wrong with them still meaning something to you.

The important thing to note is to not rush or force things. If this person is truly meant to be in your life, then time will heal all wounds and your relationship can blossom into an alternated version of the bond you shared.

Just because you broke up, doesn’t mean your relationship is technically broken. It’s simply in repair, preparing to experience a metamorphosis. It is nice to have the idea of being friends with your ex, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be obstacles in getting there.

Take time for yourself and hope that in time, you both will feel comfortable with the new direction your bond is taking. Be patient, trust the journey and the broken pieces may fall right back into place.

View Comments (1)

• C

CatherineNov 21, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Hey There…

This is a great article. Breakups are not only inevitable, they are also necessary. When you are looking for a long term partner, you are going to have a few misses along the way. Breaking up with has little drama as possible is always good.

I like to say there is a little sweet in every breakup. There is something that is good for your future, good for you as a partner in that last relationship. Focus on the best you guys had, forgive yourself for staying as long as you did and lift your chin as you walk away.

You deserve someone who accepts you for who you are….and likes you too.

Good luck!
    Catherine
    BreakupCandy.com

Reply