Common Read for campus community

By Sonni Simmons

Once a year, CSUSM campus community members converge to share critical thoughts and ideas, learning more about each other and themselves in the process.

This year on Oct. 23, students, staff and faculty met in the USU ballroom to discuss the novel The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates by author Wes Moore for the fourth annual Common Read.

The annual Common Read began in 2011 when CSUSM partnered with local colleges to bring Rebecca Skloot, author of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, to San Diego County.

Since the first Common Read, library faculty members identify three or more options for the Common Read in the Fall, then an online survey is administered in early Spring with the different book selections and feedback from First Year Programs. Once the data from the survey is collected, the Common Read selection is announced in late spring and the fall events are planned.

“By reading and discussing the one book over the course of the school year, we can identify important issues, examine our views and grow together as an academic community,” Outreach Librarian and Common Read Coordinator, Melanie Chu, said in regards to the impact the Common Read has on the CSUSM campus community.

All students had the opportunity to attend and engage in intellectual discussion centered on one novel with other students, staff and faculty.

Chu encourages students to attend the Spoken Word event that will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 20 at the USU ballroom where questions regarding defining moments, second chances and last chances will be addressed and those in attendance will be encouraged to imagine their life as the “other” version of themselves.

The library has ten copies of The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates available at the third floor Check Out Desk for students who are interested in reading the novel.