Letter to the Editor: What am I thankful for?

By Essence Sanders

Contributor 

While most everyone says they are thankful for the same things, every year I am thankful for my family and my friends. But I had to sit here and think, “what else am I really thankful for?”

I seriously could not think of anything. Of course I am thankful for my family and friends. But, then it dawned on me. As college students we are so engrossed in our lives trying to juggle everything. We cannot sit back and think of the grander picture. Our lives outside of school are virtually non-existent. We are pulled every which way. From the demands of our professors, to trying to desperately hold on to our crumbling social lives. Not to mention a majority of us work in addition to all of that. At this point we are all just trying to keep our heads above water.

So back to the original question. What am I thankful for?  I am thankful for all the little things that I overlook every day. Like my exceptionally supportive family who nodded and smiled each time I changed my major. To the amazing friends in my life who keep me grounded and teach me life isn’t just about work and school. I am thankful that I somehow juggle two jobs and still manage to get my homework done. I am thankful that I live in a place so beautiful and that I get paid to photograph what I love. I am extremely thankful for my Friday nights off where I stay at home and watch Netflix. I am thankful for the holidays when everyone seems to be happier for no apparent reason. Finally, I am thankful for it almost being the end of the semester and almost being Christmas.