TV Show Review: The Big Bang keeps on going

By Will McCurdy

For eight seasons, the Big Bang Theory graced us with the laugh track comedy of Chuck Lorre, an entirely new take on the genre of intellectual comedy not seen since the days of Frasier, and, most importantly, the gift of bringing Jim Parsons to the small screen.

The show performed again and again with a colorful cast of characters which are why they’ve been able to stay on the air as long as they have, bringing viewers despite some nerds admonishing it. It brought a larger understanding of some of the basic principles and concepts of the scientific community and even some that are more advanced such as theoretical experiments of quantum physics (Schrodinger’s cat). However, as much as I dearly love the show, there are some points that need to be addressed that will hopefully be revisited and give the wonderful program a sound conclusion.

First to be addressed in formerly one of my favorite couples on the show: Howard and Bernadette (Simon Helberg and Melissa Rauch respectively). When first introduced to Howard, he was a sleaze ball. He was the guy who you hoped your sister would never catch the eye of lest they accosted by displays of gadgetry and how much hair gel can be matted on to the human head. Through Bernadette’s introduction, Howard changed his ways and became a more sympathetic character with her quiet demeanor hiding a fearsome personality that was both endearing and haunting to audiences while providing what Howard needed to become a better man. In the newer seasons, however, their relationship took a turn for the hostile where there was love there is now anger and lies that had no place in their dynamic.

Next are Sheldon and Amy (Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik) with a relationship that is clearly going nowhere and that is the problem: It is going nowhere. While Amy is coming out of her socially repressed shell, Sheldon’s anti-social personality and elitism have more or less established him as asexual with an almost abusive dynamic of leading Amy to a future with him that isn’t truly there and needs to be remedied lest the comedy take a darker turn.

Finally we come to Leonard and Penny (John Galecki and Haley Cuoco) who have the same problem as Sheldon and Amy as their relationship is going nowhere, but it is made worse by the fact that after seeing season after season where they break up and get back together repetitively. I can’t honestly remember why they’re together. I can understand why these story lines drag on because the writers want the show to stay on television, but everything has to end eventually. They are approaching ten years on the air and now is the time to start wrapping up loose ends. Fix Howard and Bernadette, make Raj nice again, have Sheldon and Amy finally make a connection and remind us why Leonard and Penny are in love.