Cougars’ Thanksgiving traditions: A time to be with family, to eat, to give thanks

By Shanice Davis

Thanksgiving, a time when everyone gathers around the table and devours delicious food with

friends and family after giving thanks for life and loved ones, is just around the corner.

Many Cougars anxiously revealed their plans for the upcoming event as the sole thought of

food came to their mind.

CSUSM Freshman, Jessica Amezcua, celebrates Thanksgiving by helping her mom set up.

“I always help my mom with the food,” Amezcua said. “My mom doesn’t prepare turkey;

instead, she makes smoked ham in the oven with pineapple and a chipotle gravy sauce that she

makes herself with mashed potatoes and bread.”

For Amezcua, Thanksgiving doesn’t simply stop with dinner.

“After that we start putting up Christmas decorations, both outside and inside of the house,”

she said.

Ravenjade Sansano, a junior at CSUSM, proudly describes his Thanksgiving tradition as

consisting of family gatherings and parade watching.

“Tradition in my family is us getting together at my auntie’s house and we watch the Macy’s

Parade,” Sansano said. “Right after that we eat, and then towards the night, we all gather

around in this big circle…and we say what we are thankful for and what we can do better on as

a family member.”

CSUSM Junior, Todan Ascencio, reveals that Rock n’ Roll classics always kick off his

family’s Thanksgiving celebration.

“Since I was thirteen my brother and I would jam out until dinnertime providing entertainment

for our family, usually playing classics like Metallica, AC/DC and Led Zeppelin,” Ascencio

said. “Sometimes my mom would do vocals on some Zeppelin tunes.”

When it comes to food, Ascencio explained that a traditional turkey is not the only option.

“We eat chicken, and my mom makes mole, and my dad makes his special rum cake,” he said.

“Basically mix[ing] Mexican/Spaniard food into the traditional Thanksgiving meal.”

CSUSM student, Jonathan Garcia, chuckled as he recalls his aunt’s secret to the perfect turkey.

“In the past five years when we go over to my aunt and uncle’s, I always look forward to their

turkey because it’s something different,” Garcia said. “It’s a bacon covered turkey; they put

bacon strips all around the turkey and then they cook it like that.”

Evidently Cougars will be grubbing this Thanksgiving for sure. Regardless of where or what

everyone will be doing this Thanksgiving, be sure to remember that while the food is great,

Thanksgiving is a time to be surrounded by loved ones, to be thankful and to give thanks.

Be safe and get full off of all that hearty food. Happy Thanksgiving Cougars.